When you join our team, you become part of a larger purpose to deliver science through every lens. What does that look like? Let’s break it down.
OMSI is a place to imagine, experiment, and figure out how to do better. That’s what science is all about, right? The biggest breakthroughs happen when we stretch outside our comfort zones — and that’s exactly the kind of growth you’ll discover as a part of our team.
For us, doing better isn’t about trying to be perfect. We approach growth through bravery and collaboration, learning from our mistakes and applying that knowledge to help each other and OMSI grow with integrity.
Our vision is to ignite educational transformation at the intersection of science, technology and design — all through the lens of anti-racism, equity and inclusion. Because when we see science through every lens, we can make the most of every form of knowledge.
What we do here at OMSI can make waves across our city, region and the science community, tackling issues from STEM representation to climate justice. But what does that look like in action? Here are just a few ways our team is already bringing OMSI’s purpose to life:
- AlegreMENTE | Happy Brain is a Spanish-first, bilingual traveling exhibit designed collaboratively with the Latinx community. Visitors celebrate early connections together in a whimsical forest full of families of all kinds, both human and animal.
- Black Community Science Night and Latin American Community Ciencias Night welcome visitors of all ages and backgrounds for a night of museum exploring, science demos, lectures, and cultural entertainment.
- The Center for Tribal Nations Advisory Committee has been instrumental in shaping the vision for OMSI District to restore the Native American community’s presence on the Willamette River.
- Pride at the Museum features all-ages activities such as drag queen storytime with Poison Waters and lectures with the designer of the Progress Pride Flag.
- 360° Films by Houseless Youth premiered films created by twelve young artists who have experienced houselessness. Tickets were offered on a sliding scale.
- Statewide Outreach programs bring science education directly to communities across Oregon, from rural grade schools to KairosPDX in Portland, and several other culturally-specific institutions.
- The Urban Heat Inequality Exhibit is a science-based examination of systemic injustice in the urban planning of Portland.
Join Our Team
What impact could you create at OMSI? Explore opportunities to join our team.