Included in General Admission | Current science gets up close and personal at Meet a Scientist. This program, held on the second and fourth Saturdays of the month, features local scientists who share their research and knowledge with you through hands-on activities and conversation. Meet a Scientist exclusively features professionals who are OMSI Science Communication Fellows.
April 14 Topics
- Go undercover with Alex to solve a food safety mystery on the farm.
- Speak with Uchenna as you try to discover how cells decide if they will become a heart or another part of the body.
- Explore additive and subtractive color with Karen, how the eyes see color, and color recipes. What colors are mixed to make various shades of green or red? What color is made when we mix red and green light? The answer may surprise you.
- Get a closer look at live plankton and explore their importance in lakes and rivers with Vanessa.
- Learn the fascinating and unique structure of the inner ear with George, and discover how it tells different sounds apart.
April 28 Topics
- Food scientist Seth shares the secrets of jams and jellies.
- Speak with Uchenna as you try to discover how cells decide if they will become a heart, or another part of the body.
- Come explore with Ed what satellites can tell us about the ocean and tides.
- Meet Ellie and learn fascinating facts about DNA and how scientists study it.
- Find out how we detect planets that revolve around stars beyond our Sun with Sang.